Saturday, January 5, 2008

Ka'ari

Psalms 22:16 is commonly translated as saying :

Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.

The Hebrew word used where pierced is is the word ka'ari.

But wait, ka'ari does not mean pierced. In fact, out of all the places this occurs in the Bible, this is the only place it is translated as meaning pierced.

Ka'ari is also found in the verse Isaiah 38:13
I waited patiently till dawn, but like a lion he broke all my bones; day and night you made an end of me.

Here, replacing it with the faulty "pierced" translation, makes absolutely no sense.

Moshe Rosen, founder of Jews for Jesus (blek), argues that it is supposed to be pierced, and that the word is actually supposed to be kaaru (kaf, alef, raish, vav), and not ka'ari (kaf, alef, raish, yod). After all, yod and vav look similar to each other. But anyone who knows anything about the Hebrew language well tell you that not only does kaaru not translate to pierced as many evangelists insist, kaaru isn't even a real word!
There is a similar word, karu (kaf, raish, vav). But this doesn't translate to pierced either.

In fact, if it is to translate to pierced, the Hebrew texts always use the word daqar or ratza.

So, this is just one place it has been proven the Bible has been translated incorrectly over the years. Whether intentionally done so or not, I do not know.
Are there others? Well, we will just have to wait and see.

No comments: